Solving problems is Kay’s strong suit. She is once again an Albertan after spending four years in the Cayman Islands working with Solomon Harris, where she assisted international clients with business structuring and reorganizations and provided advice regarding the creation, maintenance and dissolution of trusts.
Prior to moving to Grand Cayman, Kay’s career consisted primarily of practicing corporate income tax within the oil and gas industry, where she provided assistance with mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions and financings. She also provided assistance to owner-operated businesses, did estate planning and practiced resource law. In Grand Cayman, Kay added expertise in the area of captive insurance and broadened her expertise in trust law.
With respect to her work in the Cayman Islands, Kay is a Recommended Attorney as evaluated by Chambers Global and Legal 500 for 2012 and 2013.
In addition to having a passion for horses, Kay loves to create things. She has made several elaborate costumes for Arabian horses, which have appeared in the Stampede Parade. She de-stresses by making jewelry and doing needlework. However, these hobbies do take a back seat to playing with her granddaughters!
*An Association of Independent Practices*
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Trusts and Estate planning
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) – University of Calgary - 1974
- Bachelor of Laws - University of Calgary - 1985
- Called to the Alberta Bar – 1986
- Called to the Cayman Islands Bar - 2009
- Courses in Income Tax, Taxation of the Oil & Gas Industry and Goods and Services Tax - Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants – 1998 - 1999
MEMBERSHIP & ASSOCIATIONS
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta since July, 1986
- Member of the Cayman Islands Law Society since May, 2009